Friday, July 15, 2016

Summer Vacation Part 2


Yesterday I showed you the first couple of days of our trip, with stops in Custer and Spearfish SD, and Billings MT. Next we headed out early in the morning to drive the Beartooth Highway.  It stretches from Red Lodge MT to Cooke City. It's been called one of America's most beautiful highways, and I'd have to say that I agree. It's also a rather stomach dropping drive too, as you reach an altitude of 10,947ft!



At one of the overlooks, there were tons of ground squirrels and chipmunks just begging for something to eat. So my daughter and I were having a blast feeding them peanuts. So much so that I didn't want to stop!



Here we are, me and my girl!



These pictures start to tell you just how high up we were. I have to admit that I was having a hard time looking down without getting the heebeejeebees!




But the views were worth it! So beautiful!



By now we were at the very top, with 360 degree views of the Beartooth Plateau and surrounding mountain peaks. There we saw a group of big horn sheep, but we couldn't stop to take a pic darn it!






As we started to descend on the other side, we were treated with stunning views of the Absaroka-Beartooth wilderness.


Above is a pic of  Pilot and Index Peaks.


Here is another view of Pilot Peak. At this point we were about to enter Cooke City. There we had lunch and a break before entering Yellowstone Park. Tomorrow I will show you some pix from the time we spent at Mammoth Terraces. And if you missed yesterday's post about deer feeding in Custer check it out here!   Bye for now!

4 comments:

Witchcrafted Life said...

What a truly stunning part of the world! I enjoyed these photos so much, I scrolled through them leisurely three times. Thank you for sharing the beauty of your travels with us, dear Laurie,

xoxo ♥ Jessica

Lindsey said...

Wow! These photos are breathtaking! And oh my goodness, that photo of the chipmunk is just too cute! Can't wait to see your next post! Hope you have a wonderful weekend!

~Lindesy
http://have-clothes-will-travel.com

Unknown said...

Thanks so much Jessica! I was afraid it was too many photos. :)

Unknown said...

Thanks Lindsey! I wanted to take that little guy home with me! He would come right up on my hand to take the peanuts! :)

Featured Post

Sketches of the Week

Still in a Christmas and winter mood with my art, and still working on my technique with gouache. It's a much trickier medium than I ...